Friday, April 14, 2006

Beer Vertigo for Geoff

My friend Geoff Kabush, the rock star mountain biker, recently competed at the Commonwealth Games. He was the heavy favourite to win gold, but unfortunately he came down with a viral ear infection which he affectionately refers to as "beer vertigo". Geoff sends out regular updates to his family and friends and this update is also posted on cyclingnews.com. Here is a bit of his most recent post:

Soooo...time for another report. Last time I wrote I had just won the Oceania Champs - I was on a bit of a high, feeling pretty good about myself heading into the Commonwealth Games. Well, let's just say it has been a bit of a roller coaster since then in the world of bike racing.

Let's just say my favourite memory of Melbourne was not the racing; as soon as I got in to the athletes' village I started to feel not quite right. I loved the course at Lysterfield Park but the MTB race at the Games was one of the most difficult days on a bike for myself. I knew what I could do but I couldn't have felt worse for the race; it was pure mental torture to just finish. I could've gone out boozing for a month and felt about the same...and speaking of feeling drunk, that is what happened a few days later on the morning of the road race at the Games. As I rolled out of bed my head started spinning like I had 8-10 beers in my head. Vertigo isn't the sweetest thing to have during a road race but I hung in, took a few digs, and managed not to kill anyone before pulling the plug with a few laps to go. More here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home